I am linking to a piece in The Oregonian about one Eunice Crowder, a hoarder, who died as a result of a house fire in her hoarding home this past week. A blind woman, who negotiated the messes inside her home, was a piece of work. Sad ending, sadder if a fireman had died inside that hell hole. It is a long story but worth the read and a reminder for all of us….do something! My Auntie had two fires, one a result of a heating pad igniting!
“The air grew hotter toward the back of the house. Firefighters thought the higher temperatures signaled big flames, but the only fire still burning was a 2-by-2-foot blaze in the main hallway. A quick inspection suggested that a heating pad tucked beneath Crowder’s pillow ignited, and that flames spread up her arms and melted her clothes as she tried to carry the pillow to the bathroom sink. Clutter may not have caused the fire, but it certainly made a quick escape more difficult.”