The Hoarding Cleanup moved along as planned: The several dozen pallets were loaded up and trips were made to dispose of them. We found a place that chips them up. Had they been in good condition, you can find some places right now that would buy them. The chemicals and paints, etc. were loaded into a trailer. There is a lot more to load tomorrow. A small 10 yard drop box was filled in a flash with outside gardening and yard debris.
A concerted effort by all was made to remove years of gardening trash: hundreds of empty potting soil and fertilizer bags saved and stuffed in other bags for some reason; thousands of those little green or black plastic containers that plant starts come in…I mean at least a thousand of what had not crumbled or fragmented into the earth or plants; a dozen of what is probably at least three dozen push mower grass catchers. I am not sure what her fascination was with these. I could see maybe having a backup but dozens and dozens of these was too much; used hose after used hose rolled up and tied off along with a dozen or so just uncoiled throughout the tall grass and shrubs that had to be cut free from the earth, grass and shrubs; yard chemicals to the max; enough rotten twine to reach around the world; more scrap metal with the grass and shrubs having grown up through the metal work; rotten pvc piping and cracked plastic gutter sections; many sheets of rotten plywood, particle board and miles of tarps and visqueen rotting and crumbling; rusted tools; a dozen hand crank fertilizer spreaders; dozens of plastic watering cans on top of several dozen cracked and punctured ones I found last year..the list went on and on.
An interesting find inside the house amongst my Aunt’s paperwork, that points to several issues amongst hoarders, the elderly and someone not watching out for them when outsiders are afoot in the house: several years ago, my Aunt said she allowed workers to come into her home and once inside one of them sent her on periodic errands to buy materials for repairs. The below image shows the aftermath of the worker’s sneaky intent.
A downstairs bathroom has been jammed with boxes and stacks of clothing. The light bulbs have been burned out as well. The contents were removed and a little light was shed upon a very interesting find…the sexy shower door from the 1950’s.
Tomorrow, we will do a tidying up in the Garage to make room to create tables. Then we will attempt to better figure out the lighting situation and tear down the very haphazard, rigged up lighting we have now. Finally, we will head into the basement and den to sort through boxes and move them up the stairs and into the Garage. This has to be done carefully at first as there is little means of securing anything outside the house, so only those things we could afford to lose will be headed out into the Garage or Patio or Storage Shed.